The school’s curriculum priority over the past 4 years has been the development of a Mathematics program. This year the continued focus was on English, through the Early Year’s program, and Mathematics, with a focus on Early Years Numeracy. An additional focus is the development of The Arts (Fine Arts and Music) and Science. A Specialist teacher is employed to provide enrichment programs in these areas.
The broad focus for the future is the development of the Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS).
• Metung Primary School takes pride in its family atmosphere and strongly emphasises the value of caring within the school and the wider community.
• Great emphasis is placed upon all issues affecting the welfare of students.
• Parental and community involvement in the school is excellent. Many volunteers work regularly in the school. Most are parents of pupils but a few have no children at the school but still make a valuable contribution.
• The fund raising efforts of the parent support group of school council are very good and enable the school to be well resourced in computer equipment, library books and other literacy support material.
• The size of the school enables a personal caring approach to be extended to every child and to the parents who may seek information or advice.
• The school is proud of the high academic standards it has achieved in the areas of Mathematics and English.
• The annual school concert has grown in popularity with the community and is a feature of the school’s performing arts program.